What are occupational standards?
Occupational Standards define the knowledge, skills and attitudes required for effective workplace performance. Standards are the agreed minimum best practice in an Occupational Area and take into account all necessary statutory requirements. They generally:
- specify what a person should know and do in order to effectively carry out the functions of a particular job in the context of the work environment
- identify worker competencies and specializations (jobs) within occupations
- set the foundation in determining appropriate training for the individual on the job
- provide guidance for monitoring of training and assessment.
- helps to identify training needs and the development potential of workers in relation to their performance against recognized standards
- take into account all the statutory requirements necessary for operation within an industry